Sunday, July 7, 2013

Finishing a some thoughts I put down last year...

Allow me to finish a thought I started last year as I was keeping track of what and where I'd come from and been through...

With the brace freshly trimmed and fit, it was a sea change in attitude and abilities. Where I was originally expecting four weeks in rehab, I was discharged the following Monday. I had been in rehab for only 2 weeks. I still had a long road ahead though. The Thursday after discharge, I had my first Physical Therapy session with my knee therapist. After he got me moving following my knee replacement just 9 months before my wreck, I knew he would get me where I needed to be. I needed my TLSO brace a bit longer, and my wife and daughter had to get me in and out of it for bed. I leaned on my adult daughter a great deal. And find I helped raise an incredible human being. I may never match her compassion and generosity. My wife has numerous health challenges, but managed through these first weeks almost as if she was her old self. Friends and co-workers were incredible. Not much I can add to this. Physical Therapy was no walk in the park. The brace made me sweat with practically no physical effort.  My PT worked with me as best he could with the brace.  I just couldn't believe how weak I had become in such a short period of time. 

September 27th, 2010.  I saw my surgeon and she was thrilled with the Xrays.  Enough so, I was allowed out of the TLSO brace.  I was beyond happy.  That meant I was getting better, going to make it.  And it also meant a greater measure of independence.  I still needed the cervical collar and I couldn't drive.  But I was making progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment