Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Those first days...

I don't remember exactly which day, but it was before I was up walking.  I realized I could move everything.  My legs, feet and toes.  And I knew I was going to be OK.  Not like I had been, but I was going to be able to walk and hopefully get back a "normal" life.  I had no idea how tough it was going to be, but I knew I was going to give it my absolute best shot.

I had issues with my digestive system that took a few days to settle out.  They tried to shove me into too small TLSO braces trying to get me on my feet and into the bathroom.  I remember the first time getting my feet on the floor.  And it took 2 good sized guys from physical therapy to get me up, and into the bathroom and back.  And I was exhausted.  Since they couldn't get a TLSO brace to fit me right, they had one custom made for me.  TLSO is Thoraco-Lumbo-Sacral Orthosis.  Usually a 2 piece hard plastic brace with velcro holding the two parts together.  Due to my neck injuries, they also added braces on the front and back to hold my head in one place.  I didn't have to wear it when in bed, but had to wear a cervical collar when not in the TLSO brace.  Getting the TLSO brace certainly helped get me moving.  But that was just the beginning.

I already mentioned the day I got Jello.  My first food in 8 days.  Lime and strawberry. That day was the most lucid one at that point.  And then I had a soft food dinner that I just don't remember what it was.  I have a lot of that.  Stuff I don't remember.  That is becoming a way of life sadly.


Once I was moved to the physical rehab unit, the TLSO brace didn't seem to fit quite right.  My occupational therapist got the brace trimmed for me and it was an improvement.  She did so much for getting me moving, showing how to do all the simple things we all take for granted.  Getting dressed, tying shoelaces, using a knife and fork to eat.  But the TLSO brace still wasn't quite right.  But I was making progress with occupational and physical therapy.  And I was slowly feeling stronger.  But I had no confidence.  And that took a while to improve as well.  I couldn't believe how truly exhausted I was for such simple things.  At least everyday was something I could show (or be shown) as progress.

I mentioned that the TLSO brace STILL didn't fit right.  A week after the first trimming of the brace, a technician came and looked at it, verified that it needs more trimming.  I couldn't move my arms very far without rubbing the edges, which limited some of the physical therapy exercises I was trying to do.  And the bottom front of the brace hit my privates if I sat down wrong.  So the tech took my brace and promised to have it back that evening.  I wasn't allowed out of bed without it.  And he didn't bring it back that night.  And my doctor decided I needed my catheter out that evening too.  What timing.  Sorry, no details on how little fun that was.

The next, Thursday, my brace came back mid morning.  It had been trimmed a LOT!  And the fit?  PERFECT!  Well, as perfect as something like that can be.  I finally felt I could get more done.  And move so much easier.  I did good with exercises in physical therapy that day.  And they wanted me to climb the stairs.  I wasn't sure I could yet.  And yet, I climbed the 4 steps with some work.  By myself.  HUGE!!!!  I did that a couple more times and was BEAT!  That was my breakthrough day. 

More later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment